Friday, July 24, 2015

Manila American Cemetery 7-18-2015

Mi This last Saturday, Sister Petersen and I had an opertunity to go to the Manila Temple with some of the members of the Molino 1st Ward. The ward hired a Jeepney. Sister Petersen and I drove our car. The only way I can ride in a Jeepney is to first remove my head. I just do not fit in a Jeepney.





I love this Temple. It is a lot smaller than the Las Vegas Temple, but going there is a wonderful experience. On this Saturday, the building was full of people, the yard was full of people. Some of them had to wait for more than 4 hours for a chance to go to a session. 
I also love the Filipino style temple shirt. I brought my temple shirt with me, but I would rather rent one of theirs. A very beautiful long sleeve shirt. It is not tucked in. And no tie. Yes folks no tie. And to my surprise, they don't go to hell for not wearing a tie, neither does deing tieless hamper the Spirit that is in this wonderful Temple. I think th Filipinos have got it right.


After ours Temple session we traveled to the Manila American Cemetery and Momorial. We have wanted to come here ever since we have been here in the Pholippines. I must say, I was not expecting the flood of emotions that hit us as soon as we drove through the gate. Humbling.







The walls are covered with the names of those who were lost in the war, but who were never found. American and Filipino people who lost their lives in this great struggle. 






Each of these grave markers represent a life cut shout. They had families and they had dreams, but they were willing to put all that on the line for their country. I am grateful that there were men willing to step forward when our country needed them. We owe a lot to them. I know that. Maybe that is why we felt the flood of emotions we did when we arrived at this place. I am grateful to them. 
There are those today who would belittle, and even ridicule the sacrifice of those who are here, I am not one of them. I remember what they did and why they did it. I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment